Consider these Three Traps to Avoid when Selecting a Personal Injury Lawyer.
1) Did You Personally Talk to the Lawyer?
Would you be satisfied if you visited a doctor’s office and only saw the registered nurse? Likewise, when a law office takes your case, you should insist on seeing the lawyer personally. A legal assistant provides invaluable help in efficiently gathering details and filing documents. However, they may miss important legal details that could change the best way to properly handle your case. You should insist on seeing the “doctor” as well.
At Arena Law Firm, the lawyer handling your case will personally speak with you and handle your case. We will insure you get personal attention and that we get all of the right details.
2) Was the Lawyer Aggressive or Did They Settle too Early?
Every case has a potential total value. If your attorney settles too early, it is as if you are leaving money on the table.
There are 3 potential steps that a personal injury case may go through:
- Do the minimum amount of work to get any sort of settlement. If an attorney has a “high volume” practice, they believe they can make more money by quickly settling as many cases as possible even if it is for much less than the true value of the case.
- Investigate the facts initiate some contacts, and initiate some filings which will improve the recovery. Some of these steps do not take very long, but they dramatically increase the amount of recovery compared to the effort put in. At the end of this stage you have a case that will probably get you 70 percent of the maximum payout possible.
- Additional work that will bring additional money; but each new dollar in the settlement takes more time and effort to obtain.
If your attorney stops at stage 2, you may be leaving $300 on the table for every $1000 total in case value. It is tempting to try and identify when a project slips into the 3rd stage and quietly quit working the case.
At Arena Law Firm, our profitability takes 2nd place to your right to get the maximum settlement you deserve. Among the lawyers we work with, we have a reputation for being aggressive which insures that our clients get the maximum settlement, rather than settling for one of the first bones thrown our way. These insurance lawyers know that when you are represented by Arena Law Firm, there will not be any quick and easy settlements.
3) Did the Lawyer Get all of the Necessary Details?
You expect the doctor to perform all of the tests necessary to determine whether what you think is food poisoning may not be a more serious problem. Likewise, a good personal injury lawyer should be gathering enough detail to create the proper case.
There are a lot of details to manage in a personal injury case:
- The precise wording of the law as it compares to the exact details of your case.
- The precise timeline of what happened, how you responded and what you can still do.
- Where and when to make timely and accurate filings .
- The best ways for medical offices to code claims.
- What is the payment schedule for the settlement and what payments have been made.
- Who to contact when payments fall behind.
A lack of attention to details such as these can not only reduce your final settlement amount, but may also reduce the amount of the settlement money you actually receive. Getting a judgement is often just the first step. The lawyer you choose and their staff need to have a strong command of all of these items. Some of the information like payment of medical claims can be very technical and require attention to detail.
At Arena Law Firm, we pay attention to all of these details so that you get all of the money you are entitle to.